April 22, 2014

T for Talk!!!

I love to talk. Talk, talk and more talk. There are two types of people. While one is the listening type the other, talking type. I belong to the talking type. While I realise the importance of listening, I enjoy talking more. S being a good listener (or pretender), my talking only increased and never stopped. 

The first day of my school, I remember the class leader saying, "hey girl, why are you talking like a chatter box?" I shut the chatter box only to open in few minutes. When I look at people who don't talk much, I always wonder, how can they be so quiet? I can't even for five minutes! I pretty well know the problems associated with talking too much. But let me tell you the benefits.
  • Talking heals. Talking helps. Talking relieves that stress one carries on their shoulders.
  • Talking doubles your joys and halves your sorrows. It is always better to talk and express your anguish than to not talk and be aloof.
  • Misunderstandings can be cleared by talking. If you are silent, the other person will never know what you wanted to say.
  • When you are deeply stuck in the problems of your life, no one is going to come and give a hand to rise. You talk and get help.
  • Wondering who to talk to? Your spouse, sibling, parents, best friends or any person who you can confide. If you think none of them can help, then a counselor.
  • When you are angry, talk. When you are sad, talk. When you are happy, talk.
  • Why do suicides happen? Because people don't get help on the right time. They had no one to talk to.
  • You want favors done? There is no Alladin lamp that you can rub and genie will appear. Ask for them.
  • Word has the power. Let positive words flow.
Before y’all run away bored with my lecture, let me give you an example of the power of talk I experienced. A friend gave me this bamboo before moving to a different city. It grew and grew and grew. So tall. Now, was my time to move. I didn't have the heart to give it to someone else. I carried it in the flight and some chipmunk pushed their luggage to squish it at the corners. It broke. I didn't lose heart. I kept talking to it. Please don’t die. Please. Please. I taped it at the broken twigs. It was only dying. I sensed a rotten smell. I got it to work and placed it next to the other plants. It stank even more. I removed it from water and washed the roots. One would puke on that stink. I still hoped and talked to it everyday. I washed the roots twice a week. Then I cut off a bigger branch that broke and rooted it again. I would ask my colleagues to talk to it as well. I noticed a tiny leave after a couple of weeks. My talk worked. My plant listened to me. Look how it almost died and is living now :)



This was the dying bamboo with broken twigs :(


The stem on the left most side was once a branch of the right most one.

28 comments:

  1. Point taken on talking, especially to your dying plants. Sometimes when you're angry it's best to keep silent until you calm down though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree Kristin. completely. When you are in anger, I would say keep quiet. But talk when you cool down...don't carry the anger. Welcome here and thank you for reading. :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah....talking to plants, talking to animals and pets can make a huge difference so does talking to the people who are critically ill. At the same time 'silence' speaks volumes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Janaki. How much I love talking, I love my silence too....but I don't like it when people are silent at times when they need to speak.

      Delete
  3. Oh I talk ...I need to! I cannot hold up emotions inside how much ever bitter!
    I used to talk to my little pet. :)
    What you did to the dying plant....lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it was my talk that worked or the plant had to live. I felt happy by feeling that it lived because I talked to the plant :)

      Delete
  4. A good one Latha. The tips are useful and practical. You are correct. Plants and pets enjoy our words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Usha ji. Along with plants and pets, I think people also should talk..and communicate..

      Delete
  5. Talking helps but so does listening and introspecting in silence. Each has an important role to play in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you dear...there are times when I over talk and then silently introspect that I should have talked less..that's when my silence comes of help..I couldn't include everything I wanted to write as I wanted to make the post short...

      Delete
  6. Good One Prudhvi!!! "Ekkada neggalo kaadu ekkada taggalo telisina vaade goppavadu" ani Trivikram garu annattu....manam kooda ekkada eppudu ela matladaalo eppudu nooru moosukuni :) undalo telusukunte ...appudu ee godava undadu ani naa abhiprayam .... i agree 100 % with ur "talking " when someone is really hurt... and so nice to know that plants too get healed with talk... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I completely agree akka....chala sarlu naku anipistadi..manaki enduku leni poni godava..moosukuni unte poddi kada ani....but sometimes, it is good to speak..sometimes it is good to keep silent..edo naa chettu batikindi ani naa bema...ala batakaneeddu nannu :)

      Delete
  7. Hehe I am much of a listener. I don't talk, in fact I can remain silent for hours. I think I got this from my dad, who was not much of a talker either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband isn't much of a talker either...but both my kids are chatter boxes :)

      Delete
  8. I don't talk much...I like to listen...I like to be with myself mostly

    T for Tired-Random Thoughts Naba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could be like you, Naba...but you know I fail miserably though :)

      Delete
  9. I think that all problems of life can be sorted out through talking, sometime across the table, sometime in some other way. You also make others feel your warmth through talking. It is a great tool to be used cautiously though not to hurt others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...we need to know where to stop and when to...our words of comfort should not become words of discomfort to others...

      Delete
  10. F in F,

    True, Talking Toughens the bonds.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  11. wowo those bamboo shoots lookso beautiful, mine never seem to grow.

    yes talking helps I think, its always good to TALK the hard times away rather than Fight them away :)

    Bikram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. next time, talk to them and see Bikram...they will grow taller than mine :) hehe

      Delete
  12. Agree completely, communication is the key to sort all issues and problems. But usually, I am more of a listener :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got the whole point of my explanation :P You are a listener...hmm nice to know

      Delete
  13. Maybe that's what I need to do about all my dying plants!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Waah..... Talking solves a lot of issues... and only if other person listens :P :D and as of me I am a talkative brat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a known fact that women NEED to talk about 5 times more than men - it is essential to their health. Maybe that is why we live longer????

    Carol @ Battered Hope

    ReplyDelete