April 6, 2020

2.Meat strips, Mango Mandi and Gopi's house....

Some kind of meat strips would be hanging on Khan saab's terrace. They would be long and red marinated with salt and chili powder. Playing with their sons, we would sometimes stop and tear the dried ends and munch. If their sisters came to check on us, all of us would be one team and say nothing. I did not know the difference for chicken or mutton until I came here and started my own cooking. Whenever I see  beef jerky in the stores here, it reminds me of the meat strips on the terrace.
                 There used to be a bag repair shop across the road. I don't know if it was from that shop or its next shop, songs from 'Maine Pyaar kiya' (Kabootar jaa jaa) and  'Jegadeka Veerudu, Atiloka Sundari' would keep playing from morning to night. I think it's because of those songs, that we would hang in the three feet corridor all day long. Don't remember how, but I made friends with the 'anna' (brother) in the shop. And once for a competition, I even took his help to draw a big mickey mouse on cardboard. Later, I got an earful from the family for making friends with strangers. Lol.
          As soon as we climbed the stairs from the ground floor, on the right side was the warehouse of 'Fast Kirana and General Stores' where all the grocery packing was done. It is in this godown that I remember scheming to get my hands laid on Uncle's stamp collection. Khan saab's family lived in the middle portion. And we lived in the two room tiny portion at the end. On the left side of the stairs, was a small parapet wall where you could stand to see the 'Mandi' downstairs. Summers were a real treat to stand there and watch truck loads of Mangoes come and go in and out of the Mandi. When those mangoes would overripe and would be trashed, our hearts would ache to no end. Viewing those hundreds of plump, juicy mangoes would only make us starve for lunch at breakfast time.
               Our school bus stop was a ten minute walk from where we lived. If we missed the bus, there is no way we could go to school as our school was in the outskirts of the town. So, we would always get ready in time and not miss the bus at all. The bus stop was in front of Metro Hotel entrance. Our House Captain Gopi's house was next to Metro Hotel. Though he has become our Captain in his 10th standard, I still call him Captain. Gem of a guy. Dude, I never tell this to you but guys like you are a rarity. Till the bus arrives, we would all play inside his house. Unlike other parents, his family never yelled at us for running in and out of the house. If you know Gopi, you will also know his mom, his dad, his sister and his grandma. We would spend more time in their house than waiting for the bus. As my house was closer to theirs, we had extra chance to go and play at their house.
                         Ah!! How I wish time froze....

0 comments:

Post a Comment