April 4, 2020

1.Kasba Bazaar, Fast Kirana and Samo something....

Many people who know me also know that I grew up in Khammam for a few years. '89 - '94. I would say the most beautiful years of my childhood were those 5 years. When we newly moved to Khammam, we lived in a small portion above 'Fast Kirana and General Stores' in a building that was located on Kasba Bazaar. The building belonged to Khan saab. Khan uncle had a large family. He had 2 daughters and 4 sons. Wasim, Suhaib, Sohail were the names of three of them. I forgot one kid's name. Their 3rd son would play with us. However, I always played with the older two sons. You know, it's always fun playing with the older lot than your own. The first time I flew kites was on Khan uncle's terrace. It would be humble if I say, "I was rather acting a Stepney" than saying, "I flew the kites".  The moment the boys dragged the kites of the other kids in the neighboring buildings, our happiness knew no bounds as if we personally won each kite. ;-)
          The owner of Fast Kirana was a foreign returned. I don't remember exactly where but he lived in Saudi or Dubai before returning back home. I started making friends with him. In Khammam, we were quite popular as students of V.V.C, who spoke English well. Showing off all my English speaking skills; I would try to impress him ;-) Back then, Stamp collection was a big hobby for us kids. Who do I have in foreign to give me stamps? :( I don't remember how...but I started my own collection. That's when my brain started plotting to steal or borrow some of Uncle's stamp collection. I knew this was my way to gain popularity at school. During summer, I don't remember now who it was, one fellow promised to exchange some stamps and had taken my book later saying he lost it. I remembered his name until some years ago. Now If I know who that is, he's going to be dead meat. After that, I became more possessive of my belongings.
          In the initial days, it would be such fun to stand in the corridor hanging over the parapet wall watching vehicles on the streets and the street vendors. Mom would go to the World Famous Naaz Tailors to learn. If you haven't heard of Naaz tailors, then you don't belong to Khammam. That much I am sure. One such fine day, I saw a man with a basket on his head shouting, "Samose, Samose"...I wasn't sure what this foreign food was. It looked something similar to our Andhra sweet "kajjikayalu" / gujiya. Now you all don't laugh at me, okay? How do you expect me to know something that I haven't seen in Andhra before and the name sounded so different....something with samo, samo..So, I fixed it in my brain that people in Khammam call them as 'Samo' something for Guijya. I did not know the taste of this divine 'Samosa' until much later when I ate it after eating my mom's head forever. 
If you have come this far, that means I know I can ramble some more...until then, won't share a tale from your childhood?

0 comments:

Post a Comment